Monday, May 10, 2010

In a New Light

Funny that I was just talking about this with one of my cousins this morning. Each day I get a daily Bible verse with commentary sent to my email. This was today's:
But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ – Philippians 3:7-8

When we have an encounter with Christ our entire life comes into perspective. Things that we thought were great immediately diminish. Things that we couldn’t do without get left behind with no regret and no return. When we step into the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ, we are stepping into a world of freedom, for we are jettisoning the things of the world. Christ makes our lives lighter by causing us to see what we used to value in an entirely new light.

The thing I was talking about was my house in Hartland. I had my entire identity wrapped up in the 2x4s and foam board. What a crying shame. The things I missed out on because that "thing" was the sole focus of who I was. I do consider it rubbish....the thing itself and the thought that that thing was important. Bloomington First Church of the Nazarene has shown me that after my amazing God coming first - people are what matters. Get to know people. Everyone has a story to tell and they want to tell it. Make people matter - really matter. Everyone wants to matter. Open your arms, your heart, your home, and your mind. God has a lot in store for you and you need to be focusing on the things that matter to Him. "Stuff" does not matter. Consider it rubbish - because it it! Focus first on God. Daily enter His Presence and REMAIN THERE!! He will direct you and use you for people. Because people matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment