Tuesday, May 18, 2010

God's Coming Near

I was sitting on the front porch getting ready to read a book I just "found", as I was packing. The book is called "God Came Near" by Max Lucado. Before I started reading I was thinking about being still before God. When I am still, I am not still. I cannot sit there in quiet and let God do the talking. I feel that even when I try I revert into silently telling Him how much I love Him. Now I don't think telling Him this is a bad thing, but I do think I need to be still. Why? Because God wants to tell ME how much He loves me. Just as I need to tell Him, He needs to tell me. I have to be quiet. So I started reading. chapter 1 talked about the birth of Christ. It talked about how Bethlehem was so "busy" that no one noticed the arrival of the Savior. No one except the people who had nothing but time.....time to hear God - the shepherds. It went on further to say that those who missed the majestic arrival missed is not out of "evil acts or malice", but just because "they simply weren't looking." How sad. How much do I miss out on of Jesus because I and just not looking?

Then it talked about the fact that Jesus was both God and human. Often we just think of Jesus in His Divine state because it is easier to think of Him that way. IT is hard to identify with God as human - no matter how true it is. But that made me think some more.....Jesus was a 23 month old toddler bugging his mother. Jesus was a weird 8 year old boy acting goofy. It was interesting to think of my Lord Jesus in the same way as my own boys.

Then it talked about the "absurdity" of why God did what He did. Not the what. What God did makes sense - we were fallen and needed to be saved. Simple enough - just look around you. But why? Especially in the light of the fact that we keep doing wrong. By we I mean all creatures of the earth. Why did God bother to send His Son as the Ultimate Sacrifice to save us from the sins we don't stop committing? Why? The book says it this way....."it is that very irrationality that gives the gospel its greatest defense. For only God could love like that." Only God could love that way. Even when we as mothers think about the vast love we have for our kids - only God could love enough to do what He did.

We serve a Mighty God. A God who loves like no other. Praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment