Monday, July 26, 2010

Major Humbling

Today was a different sort of day for me. After taking the kids to the dentist, I stopped in to the Department of Human Services and ended up crying at the counter. I inadvertently walked into the WIC (Women, Infants and Children) office and the sweet gal behind the counter rubbed my hand as I tried to tell her my name. I had 3 of 4 kids there with me and was totally choked by the words "my husband just lost his job". She kindly told me that they could definitely help me and then tried to get my information. I could not even get it out. I was a wreck. My kids were trying to get me to stop crying and that made me feel even worse. Finally I was able to get an appointment set up and the lady there encouraged me to go next door to the "bridge card/medicaid" section and "apply for everything" - which I aptly did. Even more humbling. After filling out the 20 page application, I was given an appointment to come back tomorrow for an interview. I'll let you know how it goes. But one thing is for sure, I have a new understanding for people like me - people who are down and out, for whatever reason - I'll bet they enjoy it as much as I did. It is horrible, but it is nice to be able to get assistance when you need it. (I am already assuming that we are getting it) God is really stretching and growing us through this. As with all growth - I HATE IT!!!! But I know that there is blessing hidden around the next corner, and God's blessing is worth some pain. The Bible is filled to overflowing with promises that I am holding tightly to. Without God, a time like this is miserable at best. Knowing that God is for us and has a plan to prosper and not harm us (Romans 8:31; Jeremiah 29:11) is what makes going through a time "such as this" (Esther) stomachable.

Greg had to go to the unemployment office while I was at the DHS. His experience was relatively similar, exceptionally humbling and very eye opening. He thought he was going to run into a snag because we have been in 2 state over the past 18 months and he did. However, he was able to connect with a persn who was able to help him. After a waiting period, we should be geting the unemployment checks. The companies still have opportunities to refuse us. I can't even imagine how that is possible, but apparently it is. We are praying feverishly that this does not happen, and even more feverishly that the right job will materialize. Until then we MUST "Praise the Lord, and carry on." Otherwise, the complete stress of a situation like this will eat us alive. Jesus, be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment