Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Night at the Nursing Home

We took the kids to a nursing home tonight to visit some ladies from our church who are there. One of them was not there and no one had even heard of her - that concerned me a bit. But the other one was and had family visiting her. So, we only stayed a few minutes - long enough to deliver the Valentine's treats we had made earlier in the day. Once we found out that the other lady was not there, we had 2 bags of treats to give away. I asked some of the nurses if there was anyone who never had any visitors. They could not think of anyone who never had anyone, so they just suggested that I give them to whoever we wanted. Let me tell you how easy that was - not. When we walked in there were easily 25 people just sitting in their wheelchairs, waiting. For what, you ask? That was my question. Maybe they weren't waiting for anything, maybe they just wanted to be out of their rooms. But, MAYBE they were waiting for someone to talk to them. Now I am not real good at initiating conversation. Once I get talking - watch out, but the initial start is rough for me. But after the conversations we had with the 2 ladies closest to the door (we couldn't get past them - they wouldn't let us by) I thought I can do this. So I am thinking.......if I make 5 dozens cookies a week, I can take a half dozen cookies to 10 people each week. I could take my kids (probably just Jadyn and Grant) and we could visit for a couple hours one day a week. You know, different people each week. I even talked to my kids about going there on a Saturday afternoon and just playing games with the people. They were not hesitant, not excited, but not hesitant.

It's funny though. Being there with my kids took me back to when I was a kid and my parents took us. It was so surreal, being the parent now. I thought to myself, just smile and say hello, but forgot to talk about this with the kids. But they did awesome! They smiled and talked with whomever talked to them. Grace even let one lady kiss her cheek. Grant was flirting and was ok as long as no one got too close to him. Jacob did an excellent job of talking to a woman who was extremely difficult to understand, although he had to repeat himself about 20 times because he was speaking so softly and she was very hard of hearing. I think he was afraid if he talked to loud she would break. As we talked to these couple of ladies another lady wheeled herself right up into the back of Jacob. He handled it quite nicely by just smiling at her. Jadyn was the most stand-offish, but I think if she got used to being there she would rock the show. She is such a performer that she could be of good use there. In fact, I think each of those kids could be of good use there. Watching the eyes of those precious people just light up as my kids walked by burned my heart. I want to go back there and let them know that they are loved and important and special.

Lest I think that all this was my idea, it was not. To God be the glory! I am so excited though that my eyes are being opened to other people. I have been a very self-centered person, but prayed that I could see areas where I could serve. Well, I was too busy to actaully stop and think of other people. But PRAISE GOD, as soon as this thought entered my mind I knew it was from Him. The companssion I had for other people, not just my own family, was overwhelming. ALL GLORY TO GOD FOREVER! Lord, let me decrease so that You may increase.

So....can I make 5 dozen cookies each week? With God all things are possible. Lead on, precious Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment