Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nervousness and The Prayer Required

My stomach is hurting. I am nervous. So much is happening and I feel all mixed up.

First thing: At the bus stop this morning I stopped with mom of one of the Indian girls at the bus stop (she is also muslim). I stopped her because her daughter told Grace that they were moving back to India at the end of the school year. So I just wanted to be friendly and tell her it was nice to have met her (although I was sure I would talk to her before she left). While we were talking, she invited me to come down to her house sometime. No specific time - just sometime. She is a very friendly lady and the one time I was at her house she was very hospitable. So I was thinking, I should go visit with her once before she leaves. Then I started thinking, what will we talk about? If I talk about my faith will she see me as an enemy? We are so different. We believe so differently. Later this afternoon, I was reading Our Daily Bread and today's devotion was on "Foreign Worship". People who are not Christians see Christianity as foreign worship, just as we see worship other than Christianity as foreign worship. Then it goes on to say, "When a friend see Christianity as foreign worship, we need to respect their heritage while sharing the gospel graciously..." I just need to be gracious and let God do the rest. I only have a few more months to be her friend - to show her a true Christian family in action. I know that God will equip me to do this, if it is according to His will. I will keep praying.

On the topic of praying, the second item: Based on past posts you know that we have started visiting people in nursing homes. Sunday our pastor (Scott - who is going on sabbatical) asked me if I would check in on the people from our church that are in the nursing home while he is out. I said I would be glad to. He told me to call the church and talk with someone there to line everything up. Monday I called the church and the person I was supposed to talk to was not in, so I talked to the pastor who answered the phone (and happened to be in charge of outreach). He started talking to me about helping start a nursing home visitation program. Woah! I was freaking out! I was just supposed to visit people and love on them, not start a program, right? I told him I would pray about it - which is what I am in the process of doing. The more I think about this the more I think it is something I can do, but I just want to be sure. Call me Gideon. But, tonight, I made my first of the "fill-in" visits. We went to see an amazingly sweet lady, who totally reminds me of Grandma Boss. She is in the hospital and is 98 years old. I talked with her for a little while, then asked her if I could pray with her. I had all my kids with me so I did not want to stay long - and Grant had one really loud screaming session for about 45 seconds - that was horrible! So for now I plan to visit these people on behalf of our pastor, visit at the original nursing home and keep praying about the ministry. Who in the heck would have EVER pegged me to be in ministry? Certainly not me. God keeps cracking me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment