Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Psalm 91

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-
10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."


Look at what acknowledging God's name gives us - rescue, protection, presence, deliverance, honor, long life - who wouldn't want this? But notice what else it says. "I will be with him in trouble." Notice it doesn't say I will keep him from trouble. We are not guaranteed no trouble, but we are guaranteed when trouble comes He will be with us. My life right this minute is a living testimony of this. We are in a time of trouble - no job means trouble, right? But I know more than I know my own name that God is with me. He has me wrapped snugly in His arms - swinging me peacefully until He brings me to the place He wants me to be. This is a time of greatest turmoil for me, yet through it all I have not yet felt the turmoil. He has sheltered me (vs. 1) beneath his feathered wings (vs. 4) and I have not feared (vs. 5). Really. I am amazed each day at how not afraid I am. This is very certainly an uncertain time, yet I hold on to the ONLY certain thing - the love of my Heavenly Father.

I do think I am getting weary though. But what does Scripture tell me? Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matt. 11:28) Here's why I think this - actually, it's weird. My heart and mind are fixed on Christ and that God's plan for me is what is best, yet I think that maybe subconsciously I am getting depressed. I want to sleep and eat. I do not want to exercise or get dressed. That sounds like depression to me. But my head does not feel depressed. Weird, huh? I have to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus and force my body to come along. I trust in the Lord with all my heart and now I need to trust with all my body. Truth be told, I think the devil is trying to get at me again. Stand strong, Michelle. Fight him hard. Put on the armour of God and fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment