Sunday, August 8, 2010

From the Couch in Oscoda

I am sitting here on the couch with Greg in our cabin in Oscoda. I decided to check my email and read the following from my DBV. Have I told you how much I love my DBV?

(It takes eleven days to go from Horeb to Kadesh Barnea by the Mount Seir road.) In the fortieth year, on the first day of the eleventh month, Moses proclaimed to the Israelites all that the LORD had commanded him concerning them. – Deuteronomy 1:2-3

Doesn't seem like much as first glance, does it? Well, read onto the commentary and see what I saw.

Commentary: The irony in this passage can be easily missed. What is the difference between eleven days and forty years? Faith toward God and his promises. The Israelites continually refused to trust God in the wilderness; therefore God knew that they would not lean on Him in the Promised Land. Therefore He had to raise up another generation who would obey Him in lack and therefore follow Him in abundance. Are we willing to listen and obey our Lord? It can mean the difference between eleven days and forty years!

I read it out loud to Greg like this: Faith toward God and his promises. GREG continually refused to trust God in the VALLEY; therefore God knew that HE would not lean on Him in the NEW JOB. Therefore He had to raise up another generation who would obey Him in lack and therefore follow Him in abundance. Are YOU willing to listen and obey our Lord? It can mean the difference between eleven days and forty years!

Meaning (to me) that we are in this valley to learn to lean on God - and God alone - instead of leaning on ourselves. How can God trust us to continue to lean on Him once we have the new job, until we prove that we trust Him in the "lack" of a job? I said I would prefer the 11 days to the 40 years, please.

BTW - we are enjoying our time in Oscoda.




No comments:

Post a Comment