Saturday, October 30, 2010

My Day - in Review

Last night, Greg and I went to small group - the kids spent the night at grandma and grandpa's house. So that meant we got to sleep in this morning. Once we got up, we went to breakfast and like a very old couple, we sat across from each other, drinking our coffee, Greg reading the newspaper while I read my Bible and Our Daily Bread. How romantic! After breakfast, we went to Walmart, where we both got (desperately needed) new cell phones. By the time we were done at Walmart, it was time to go see the kids. As we were arriving at grandma and grandpa's house, Tom was arriving right behind us (he was supposed to meet us for breakfast but had to catch up on some much needed sleep). We had 15 minutes to visit before we had to leave to go "do leaves". Our small group was descending onto the yard of a 97 year old man (who needs Jesus) to clean his yard and rake a burn a TON of leaves. We (Greg, Tom, Jacob, Grace and I) went and joined an amazing crew of easily 25 people, raking, carrying, blowing and burning leaves. There were so many people that we even asked 2 other neighbors if we could do their yards.....to which they gladly said yes!! I was so proud of Jacob and Grace! They worked so hard. Once we got in the car to go home, they asked why we did that. I guess I need to do a better job of explaining the "why" of what we are doing BEFORE we do it. We left there and headed back to grandma and grandpa's. There we cut down, knocked down and cut up trees, stacked logs, burnt logs and sticks, raked twigs......worked like dogs. They have so many dead trees on the acreage - it is crazy. But I realized something while I was working today. I am (embarrassed to say I am) a very intolerant person. Or maybe it is a different word. I was so mean and rotten to Greg today. It kind of started as fun (even sadder), but then it was like...if he couldn't do it my way, then he was wrong. How arrogant and full of myself can I get? He is an exceptionally hard worker and was doing things fine. Why then do I think I have a reason to criticize if things are not done my way. Oh....I still have a lot of learning to do. Praise God that He has blessed me with an amazingly patient and tolerant husband. What an example of God's love he is! I clearly do not deserve his love, yet he loves me. How very much like our Savior - who loves us in spite of our sin-filled lives.

My body is tired. My face is burned (from being too close to the fire while making hot dogs and marshmallows). My lips are chapped (either from being burned from the fire or wind burned - but burned none-the-less). My heart is heavy from my rottenness. I just want to rest. But I think I have some apologizing to do. Thank you Lord for giving me another chance. Thank you for Your patience and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment