Friday, June 25, 2010

A Mini-Vacation, A Rogue Rabbit and A Flood

Last night I went to Grand Rapids and went to the Chris Tomlin/Toby Mac concert with Becky, Lisa, Kim and some friends of Becky's. I had a great time!! It was awesome - such a great time of worship. I spent the night at Becky's, which meant I got to sleep in, sip coffee in the AM and then go for a leisurely walk with Becky. However, on that walk I had to have an emergency bathroom stop. First, let me tell you that I had peed twice before we left. We were about 1.5 miles from home when I had to go...so we turned around. But I HAD to go before we made it home. With Becky as my lookout, I peed off the edge of the sidewalk - not even in the wooded part. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

We swam at Grandma and Grandpa's for a while, then came home. But I brought everybody home with me - my 4 kids, Spencer, Seth and Shelby. When we got home I noticed some "turds" in the garage. I thought they were from the stinking chipmunks we have been killing, so I swept them up. A few minutes later Spencer yelled in to me that he saw the bunny in the garage. I came out and sure enough there was a baby bunny under the couch in the garage. I tried to shoo it out, but it stayed behind the couch. I yelled to the kids to get me a bucket. Shelby ran to get a dust pan and then she held the bucket while I gently persuaded the rabbit into the bucket with a golf club. She quickly covered the bucket, but the scared bunny just as quickly jumped out. After two more attempts, I finally got the rabbit into the bucket. I decided to take the opportunity to show it to the kids. However, the rabbit thought it would squirm out of the bucket again. I started chasing it and it ran out of the garage, but I wanted to make sure that it made it into the woods - in hopes that it would not come back. I chased it with one of the kids toys all the way to the woods, and was followed closely by all 6 kids and Shelby. As I turned around, I noticed that my neighbors were out on their patio with friends. How mortifying! I had just made such a huge fool of myself. Oh yeah - I was wearing my bathing suit and coverup. Real nice.

So Greg went downstairs to get extra chairs for dinner. When he got there, he noticed that there was water all over the edges of the basement. He called me down and we started pulling boxes away from the walls and noticed a TON of water under everything. After dinner he went back downstairs and checked the sump pump. The water in the sump pump container was literally on the verge of spilling over the top. Praise God that we got there just in time!!! Greg went to the neighbor's house and, praise God again, our neighbor (Brian) had a pump. He brought it over and started pumping the water out of the sump pump hole. The water was pouring (and this may be an understatement) into the hole. As quickly as his pump would pump it out, it would fill back up. I have never seen anything like this. Thank you Lord, for such an amazing neighbor. As of this minute he has been sitting in the corner of our basement for the last 2 hours, pumping water. Greg had to go to Home Depot and get a new pump and all the other stuff to hook it up. So he and Brian are down there hooking the new pump up. The kid's new clubhouse is really wet - the new carpet is soaking wet. Oh joy. But the positive thing about this is that it is only a little water and, by God's grace, we caught it in time. Thank you Lord, for Your perfect timing and great neighbors!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment