Friday, February 27, 2009

Seriously?

Today was Greg's last day at ALPS. So it was kind of sad. Each thing he did was the last time he would do it. I was glad that Krystel took Jadyn for a little while and that Greg and I were going to be able to spend a few hours together (of course with Grant too) before the kids got home from school. As Greg was on his way home (around 2) he called me to let me know how his exit interview went. The bummer of it was that his insurance only went through midnight tonight - when we really needed it to go through tomorrow. So, one minute after I hung up with Greg, Krystel called me to let me know that Jadyn had tripped and fell into a laundry detergent bottle and that her mouth was bleeding and it looked like "a blood blister" in her mouth. Krystel brought her home, Greg got home and then Jadyn and I left and went to Woodland Urgent Care for a quick check - yeah right. After trying for 1.5 hours to *stitch* the wound, I told the doctor we were done and she suggest we go to St Joes Ann Arbor for a *conscious sedation* - of course, I would just put her to sleep. So we went. But not before I had to coast to the gas station on fumes, where Krystel had to meet me to drop off Grant who she had to go pick up from my house because Greg did not have a car seat for him. Darn those car seat laws! I actually told Greg to just put Grant in his lap and drive him up to me. Obviously, I was not thinking straight! BTW - Grant has RSV - factor that into the equation.

So off to A2 we went. As soon as I walked in and handed my paperwork to the lady at the front, another lady walked out and said "Jadyn" - I thought man that was fast. Unfortunately there was a little boy there who was also named Jadyn (probably spelled different). So the nurse took us back and I explained the situation to her and told her I did not want to traumatize my child anymore. She was already wrapped like a burrito, and prodded with a stitching needle, all while screaming "No, Momma. It hurts! It hurts!" And you don't think I am a bit traumatized too? The nurse informed me that there (A2) they know HOW to take care of children. The other place - not so much. Then the doctor came in and she was WONDERFUL!!! Super sweet, super caring and also told me that she would NEVER put stitches in a wound like Jadyn's. Great I thought - look what I just put my kid through - FOR NOTHING!!! AAAGGHHHH!!! So Jadyn got her $50 popsicle and we were off on our merry way.



Oh yeah the ER doc also checked Grant's breathing because he was coughing SO BADLY. She recommended that I continue the course of action I was - which wasn't much. So we left. I went to Krystel's house to pick up Grace (Greg and Jacob were at the Red Wings game) and as she was holding Grant, Krystel asked me if I had checked his temperature because he felt hot. I said no, and she checked it. Yeah it was 102 degrees!! I quickly packed everything up and drove home, all while calling the on-call pediatrician, and yes, you guessed it - bawling! How much more could one mother take? OK I know that is a dumb question, what with kids starving to death in other countries, but I was talking about my own kids now. The ped *talked me down* and encouraged me to give Grant Tylenol or Motrin and keep watching him. Again it went back to the REAL issue ...Greg's current insurance expiring at midnight TONIGHT. I didn't know what to do because the ped told me earlier in the week to call her if there was any increase in fever. OK - so basically I was freaking out. I called my beloved friend, Julie, who only told me that it sounded like when her daughter, Selah, had pneumonia. Oh yeah - that made it all feel so much better - NOT!!! But I love her anyway! So I gave him some Motrin, nursed him and he fell asleep. Hopefully that is what he needed. (It is certainly what I need)

So before Jadyn went to bed, she managed to walk into a wall and the bathroom door. Both times re-opening the wound in her mouth. I certainly hope and pray that this heals very quickly because as it stands now, we cannot afford a blood transfusion within the next 24 hours!!

I should really sleep now...

No comments:

Post a Comment