Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Day We Had a Dog


We had a dog today. My kids noticed a black lab laying on our front porch. I was just going to ignore it but my sister-in-law (who I was speaking to on the phone) told me I could not just leave it - it was someone's pet. So I was thinking....where was that owner? I knew it wasn't us. So I went out and checked it out - it seemed nice enough. I petted it and it snuggled in nice and close to me. It was getting too close - I DID NOT want this relationship!! So I borrowed a leash from a neighbor and Jacob, Grace, 3 neighbor girls and I started canvassing the neighborhood trying to find this dog's owner. We did not find it. Greg called the police, who directed us to the Humane Society, who in turn told us it was NOT an emergency and to call back during normal business hours. Not an emergency? Wanna bet? A dog that won't leave my house is an emergency!!! So I resolved that this creature was going to spend the night in our garage because there was NO WAY it was coming in my house!!! I ran into another neighbor as I was walking the dog home (to MY house) and asked her if she wanted another dog. We re-hashed the story and she said she would keep the dog in her house overnight. THANK GOODNESS!!! I was off the hook. So I strolled merrily home only to find Jacob and Grace standing on the front porch asking where THEIR dog was. Their dog? Are you kidding me? I stunk like cold wet dog and they wanted to know where THEIR dog was? At least that was over....Grace did inform me that when she is older and has her own house, she will have her own dog and when I come over I will "just have to like it". Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment