Friday, January 13, 2012

Tonight, after dinner, Greg asked the kids to go into the playroom, close the door and decide together what we would have for dessert. He said he would get them whatever they wanted as long as they all agreed on it and did not fight. The conversation lasted no more than 30 seconds before fighting began. After about a minute of that, the "no dessert" clause was enacted. Too bad that they couldn't work together to decide on a dessert. But, I did feel a little bit guilty eating the chocolate creme pie Greg brought home for him and me. Just a little.

Then we watched a 1946 movie called "Courage of Lassie", starring a very young Elizabeth Taylor. It was so cheesy and Greg and I laughed at the sets and how movies used to be. They sure have come a long way. Other than Jacob, the kids liked it. After it was over Greg asked each of them what part they liked the best.
Grant: The coyote
Grace: The dog kissing
Jacob: The shooting
Jadyn: When the girl died (she didn't die, but fell and hit her head - but seriously?)

Then Jacob said some smart alec comment to Greg (which I cannot for the life of me remember), which caused Greg to send Jacob to his room. After the fifth (yes, I said 5th) time of Greg telling Jacob, I stepped in. Jacob and I took a trip to my room with the spoon (uh-huh) and after he climbed into bed we had a (surprisingly) nice talk about respect. I gave him 2 examples - one of a respectful kid and one of a disrespectful kid. I asked which he would prefer to be. We went over Colossians 3:20, which tells children to obey their parents in EVERYTHING (not just what they feel like obeying). And why should they do this? Because it pleases the LORD. I also explained to him that when he honors his parents, he is also honoring God, and that is what He calls us to do. At the beginning of the conversation, Jacob was plain mad. Telling me that I hated him and that was why I treat him like I do. I explained to him that because I love him so much and want the best for him, I expect more from him than a parent who didn't care. I (OK Greg and I are) am trying to set him up to be successful, not to fail. I also used the example of the employee, who when his boss told him to do something, chose not to do it. I asked Jacob how many times do you think it would take for the boss to fire the guy? He answered 2. As I kissed him goodnight for the 100th time, I think he finally got it. I think he actually felt bad. My goal was not to "make him feel bad", rather to show him that his behavior was not good and will not be tolerated. I pray that it sticks. I can definitely say that the words I spoke tonight were not my own - I am so thankful to God for that. It was as if I really had some intelligence in what I was saying. All glory to God for that!!!

On another note, Greg's sister, Alicia, got in a big car accident today. Praise the LORD, she and the kids are fine, but the car may be totaled. I was talking with her tonight and she told me that when she was buckling her kids in, she took extra time to make sure they were in good and tight. She took so much time that her 3 year old asked her what she was doing. She responded saying that "Mommy just feels like she needs to make sure you are strapped in tight." Oh, praise God in Heaven for His Mighty Hand of protection that was on them. I told her that much too. And she agreed. I pray that her eyes are opened. I pray that this incident, while absolutely horrible, works to show her the light of Jesus. That she turns her life, and the control of it, over to the One and ONLY that already has the control. I pray that she sees God and His Precious Son, Jesus and the Holy Spirit for who they really are - God in ONE. I love Alicia as though she was my own sister and I pray that this experience will not just pass her by. I know God is working!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment