Monday, January 23, 2012

Sex Education

Last night we started sex education with our kids. We read, as a family, the book, "The Story of Me", which talks about how a child is formed. The book is geared towards 3-5 year olds, but it is interesting that I still had a hard time saying 'penis' and 'vagina' to my kids. These are part of the bodies God created and it should not be awkward, yet the corruption of this world has taken something God created for beauty and made it seem awkward. Jacob giggled at the mention of 'penis' and Grace said she felt that the book was 'inappropriate'. How do they already know to feel this way? Lord, please help Greg and I as we navigate through these waters. Help us to teach our children the importance of purity and using their bodies to glorify you. Help them to see why.

They funny part of this was that Greg stayed home from church yesterday because he was not feeling well. He told me to leave Grant home with him. Before I left, I asked him to read the above-mentioned book because I wanted to read it to the kids. Apparently he misunderstood what I asked because he read it to Grant while we were at church. When we came home and I asked him if he read it, he said yes. Then we talked about reading it to the kids and he told me he already read it to Grant - isn't that what I asked him to do? No.....then he told me how weird he felt saying 'vagina' to Grant. Oh geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment