Monday, October 3, 2011

Bountiful Blessings

What a busy weekend it has been! Friday night we had a fun time eating and watching baseball with Doug, Edy and their girls. Saturday evening I was supposed to go with my mom to my grandma's house to spend the night and help prepare for my cousin's shower on Sunday. Notice I said "supposed to". Saturday morning Greg, most of the kids and I went and looked at pop-up campers. While we were there I received a phone call from my mom, telling me she was in the hospital. I said, "Seriously?!? You're lying." She said, "No, Michelle, I'm not." She ended up having to have her gall bladder removed in an emergency surgery. While surgery of any kind is not any fun, we were really blessed by this one. First of all.....it was Saturday. That meant a few things. One...there was no one else in the surgical unit but us. Two...Greg was home so he could watch my kiddos. Praise the LORD ~ everything went well with her surgery (which started at noon, and she was home in bed by 3pm - wow!) I made the phone calls letting people know we would not be at the shower, but my mom kept saying that she wanted to go. I finally told her we would see how she felt around 11am on Sunday and decide from there. When I got to her house on Sunday, she looked way better. And she was going to the shower. So......we went. It was a beautiful shower and my mom was so happy that she was able to go - I think her family was too. I know I was glad for her. But by the time we got home, she was past ready for bed. While I didn't get to have the night away at grandma's with my mom, we certainly spent quite a bit of time together this weekend. I was so blessed to have been able to be there to help her. I was also blessed by my Aunt Gayle, who sat at the hospital with me, then brought over homemade chicken noodle soup later that night. What a treasure. Then Carolyn brought over chicken and rice for dinner the next night - yes.....another blessed treasure to our family. My mom's friend, Georgette, came up to the ER and was sitting with my mom until I got there. She is an awesome lady too. Oh, how God has blessed us with wonderful family and friends. Where was my dad, you are asking? Home. Working with Jacob. Now.....before you go getting mad...hear me out. He is not real good in situations where my mom is hurt. AND....he knows that I will be there. She did not want anyone at the hospital with her and he respected that - I did not. I was not allowing her to be alone. Basically, it was the pain talking and that was what my dad was listening to. It really worked out good. Another blessing from the LORD. My dad had Jacob to keep him occupied, so that he wasn't driving me crazy at the hospital. And I was able to care for my mom the way she wanted. When she got home, dad came in and took over. He is much better in that environment.

In the meantime, Jacob made a travel basketball team. We were not trying to do that, but, well.....we'll see. He was supposed to be going for evaluations for the rec league. Apparently, I got the dates mixed up and yesterday was tryouts for travel. Greg decided that since he was already there, he might as well try. Parents were not allowed in the gym at all. This was something different for us. About halfway through, the coach came out to Greg and said that Jacob was on the team. He also said that Jacob was not the best player, but with his aggressiveness and height, he could be coached into a great player. Wow! That was awesome to hear! We always knew Jacob was awesome! While we were not intending to enter into the world of travel sports, apparently that is where God wanted us. I pray for protection over Jacob, great growth in Jacob as a young man and as a basketball player, and that God would use us for His glory in that league.

So, you see, it has been a VERY busy weekend. Praise God for His blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment