Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Was that 911 or 991?

Grace had a friend over this afternoon. While we were all downstairs playing hockey and soccer, her mom called. I didn't get to the phone in time, so I had to call her back. I started dialing and then realized that I dialed the number incorrectly. I quickly hung up and dialed the correct number. Shortly after I spoke to the mom, my phone rang. I stopped playing soccer to get the phone - it was 911 calling me back. Here is the conversation:

Me: (out of breath from playing soccer) Hello?
911: We received a hang up call from this number.
Me: (still out of breath) Yes, I know. I was trying to call my neighbor and her number starts with 991 and I dialed 911 on accident.
911: Are you OK?
Me: Yes, it was an accident.
911: You are saying that your neighbor's prefix is 991?
Me: Yes, that is correct.
911: Are you sure you are ok?
Me: Yes, I am fine.
911: What is your name?
Me: Michelle
911: And you are OK?
Me: Yes, it was an accident.
yadda yadda yadda....

So I was explaining to my kids that I made this mistake and was hoping that the police did not actually show up.

Grace: The police are coming here? (fear on her face)
Me: No, I don't think so.
Grace: WHY would they come here?
Me: They probably won't come, but sometimes they come when they think someone is in trouble.
Grace: But we're not in trouble. (crying) Mom, I don't want them to take you away. I don't want them to come here! What are we going to do? We need you here, Mom!

Interesting night.

1 comment: