Friday, August 17, 2012

What's The Deal With Homeschooling?

I have been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of my friends that are, or are planning to become, homeschoolers. Every time I turn a corner someone else is professing the need for homeschooling. This past week, I found myself wondering if I was missing something. Why was everyone else doing this while I wanted to run away screaming at the thought? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my kids more than anything, but the idea of me "teaching" them (in my opinion - things other than what the mom should teach) is crazy. Clearly, if God was calling me to do this, I would do it and He would equip me. But I really don't think He is. My prayer is that if I am blocking out His will for me (and my kids) that He would clearly remove the block.

So, as I sit and reflect on it more, I know that I am where I am supposed to be. I work at the school that most of my kids attend - at least for now. And I love it! At first I loved it simply because I got to be where my kids were. However, through the course of last year, I saw something more. I got to talk to and influence at lot of sweet young kids. I love to help them solve problems on the playground. I love to include a kid who was otherwise unincluded into a game. I love that the kids recognize me and talk to me. I feel that this is my mission field. Oh - wait - lest you think that I think my own kids are not my mission too - they most definitely are. And it is my job to equip them to live for God in this world and not be of it. I think (at least for me) it is the teacher's job to train their minds in math and writing. Hopefully, you get my drift. I know my kiddos are my responsibility - actually they are God's. But I get a hand in helping and for that I am eternally thankful. I will continue to pray that God equips me and directs me in the path that I am supposed to take in regards to this.

Should He someday require me to homeschool, I will do it wholeheartedly. But until that day, my kids remain in school.

What is interesting to me is that this was my DBV for today.
 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.” – Acts 8:26-29 (NIV)

Commentary: Philip was in the middle of a revival when the angel told him to walk down an isolated desert road. In our age of pragmatism, we would question why Philip would leave “where the action is happening” and go to a place that was so remote. But Philip was not motivated by excitement; his greatest value was simple obedience. As a result, this official took the gospel to Ethiopia. So take heart if you feel that you are out of the mainstream of events, for you never know where those desert roads will lead you. What seems foolish to man becomes the magnificent wisdom of God.
Just like God called Philip away from "where the action was happening", maybe that is what is happening for me, based on my situation. It all seems to be happening in the homeschooling world, but I feel God is calling me to school. I love how God's word penetrates all the junk that surrounds me.

Now, in Jesus' Name, I command the devil to leave me alone and not bother me with this anymore. Thank you, LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment