Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Illinois Update

So it is done. We have arrived in Illinois. I am not really happy though. In fact, I have done a large amount of crying since the truck pulled out of my driveway 5 days ago. The movers came on yesterday and tonight Greg and I finally got the kitchen in working order. The bummer of this is that I have to start cooking - no more dinners out. I am soliciting all the prayers I can from anybody I know - so if you are reading, please pray for us.

My kids had a bit of culture shock on their first day of school. They were the only white faces in a sea of about 100 kids. I told them that there would be all different types of kids at their school but they were not prepared for this. Grace was hysterical and begged me to homeschool her and Jacob chimed in saying he wanted to stay at home too. Then I was very, very sad. Once they finally let us in the school, the kids had to sit in a straight line, criss-cross applesauce, bags in lap, absolutely silent until the bell rang to start school. As Grace was still crying, I went in and sat down with her. There was only one other student in her line - a cute little white girl. So, I asked her name and started talking (quietly) with her. All of a sudden a drill instructor (I mean, teacher) came up to me and told me that I was not allowed to talk in here. I was shocked that she would even speak to me that way. Not a very good first impression.

But today - after a day full of crying (me, not Grace) God blessed me with some visitors. 4 boys showed up at our door, welcoming us to the neighborhood. How sweet they were. They ended up staying and trading Pokemon cards with Jacob. What a blessing. They were a set of 9 year old twins and 10 and 12 year old brothers. How exciting!

I guess I better go and get to bed, as tomorrow brings a bunch more unpacking.


Some photo updates:

Kids bathing in the "new" tub - in which I will NEVER sit

First day of school 2009-2010 (outside the school)

The kitchen I am finally done digging out of

The kids playroom - still a disaster

Grant - hiding

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say that, really, Illinois isn't so bad. And, since I live very near the Bloomington-Normal area, I'd like to be one of the first to say "welcome to the neighborhood".

    I understand the shock re: the school system. I had a friend who moved to Michigan and couldn't believe that a free public education really was pretty well "free". Whereas we're all used to paying out the nose for our 'free' education.

    Anyway, I hope you get settled and start feeling at home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, Greg and the kids. You are very missed, but you did not enter into this without a lot for prayer. This is certianly where God led you, and He has wonderful plans for you in Illinois! Those 4 boys are such a super blessing. Hopefully more friends for all of you are just around the corner :)

    ReplyDelete