Saturday, September 19, 2009

Small Group/Spelling Test/Weirdo

Greg and I joined a small group at church last week. We didn't know what to expect, but when we got there we were all congregating in the church's cafe. They assigned us to a group and then gave us an ice breaker exercise to do. While doing that, I was sizing up the others, trying to figure out who would be in our group. There were quite a few that I thought would make a good fit for us. Then the time came to separate into groups. The first group went, the second group went, then the third group included all the people I thought would be in our group - and we were still sitting in our seats. What was going on? So we broke out into our group. We did another exercise to help us learn each others names and the conversation started. What we found out was this group was especially selected because they all have some spanish background and one of the ladies husband really only speaks spanish and this would be easier for him, because the others in the group could understand him. I found myself thinking - are you kidding me? What have we got ourselves into? I can only speak a very little spanish and Greg speaks none. Then the talking continued and I started talking about what we were looking for in our small group and one of the guys started telling us that this is exactly what they would be for us! What a total blessing and praise!! Then I started thinking some more....Greg has always wanted to learn spanish. What a great way to learn - talking with new friends about our Lord Jesus! So I know I left there very encouraged and looking forward to this week. Actually this week, we are having dinner at the church first (a welcome dinner).

Every week Jacob has to take a spelling test. 14 words and 8 challenge words. He has done such an amazing job on his tests! Last week he got a perfect score! YAY Jacob! This week he also spelled every word correctly but was marked down on 2 word because of his penmanship. I thought - come on, give the kid a break - but then the teacher did say that they have to use proper D'Nealian handwriting skills. But since this is the first time Jacob has ever even seen D'Nealian I though she would cut him some slack. Whatever.

Tonight Greg and Jacob went to an Illinois Wesleyan football game. So I am sitting home alone with the other kids. Just a minute ago, some guys just knocked on my door and I was hesitant to answer, but I did. They were asking if my neighbors "were colored" and then asked if we ate steaks. I told him we did but we had our own cow. I just wanted him away from my door, since it is dark out now. UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment