Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Goodnight Song

Every night I sing a song to my kids. It goes like this:

Goodnight Jacob, (or Grace or Jadyn or Grant)
Goodnight Jacob,
Goodnight Jacob,
It's time to say goodnight.

Momma loves you,
Momma loves you,
Momma loves you
It's time to say goodnight.

And they love it (so do I)! The girls like to sing along with me and the boys like to be sung to.

Tonight Greg put Grant to bed and as soon as he hit the crib he was crying. I was trying to get the girls ready for bed. I went to the boy's room and told Greg that he needs to be sung to. So I took him out and as soon as I started singing, he relaxed in my arms and started leaning his head towards his crib. It is as though he knows when the song comes it is time for bed.

Later, I was laying in bed with Jacob and he was talking away (like he has been a lot recently - love it too!). Finally I told him he had to go to sleep. He rolled over, lay there for a minute or so, then said (almost sadly) "You didn't sing to me." Oh, that made me sad and happy. Sad that I had not done it and so happy that he looks forward to it every night.

What an absolutely special treasure this song is to my kids and me!!! What's neat about it is that it just happened. I just started singing and this is what came out. I'm not sure if it is a real song that I may have heard somewhere or not, but I know it was placed in my heart by God.

The other thing was....before all my kids went to bed I prayed with them collectively. After I sang to Jacob tonight, I was trying to leave his room (to spend a few minutes with Greg) and Jacob said "Pray with me". Just that simply. How my heart was filled with joy. He wanted his own prayer - Jacob's prayer, about Jacob. I don't care what he wanted to pray about - it was the fact that he wanted me to go to the Lord WITH him.

All praise to my Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment