Saturday, November 21, 2009

David Davis Mansion

Tom came out to visit us this weekend. I am so glad to have him here! He is such a wonderful friend to us and we are so very blessed to have him in our lives. Today (Saturday) we went out to breakfast, which we always do when we are with Tom. As we were sitting at breakfast, my mind was taken back about 7 or 8 years to when just Greg, Tom and I went to breakfast (Tom was our neighbor when we lived in Milford, shortly after getting married). EVERY Saturday (I think) we all went to breakfast at Dmitri's Coney Island. Then Jacob was born and the 4 of us went. Those were very special times for us. Funny, isn't it? How breakfast could be so special. But it wasn't really the breakfast - it was the company. Being removed from "home" makes the company all the more special. All this to say, I am so thankful for Tom and so glad that we are important enough to him to warrant driving all this way to visit with us. I know I look forward to it, and so do the kids and Greg. Greg and Tom are sitting watching the U of M/Ohio State football game and even this takes me back to all the Saturday afternoons we spent with Tom when we lived in Milford. I have lived a very good life and have so many precious memories. Thank you Lord for that!!

I started this post to talk about our trip to the Davis Mansion, so I should get to that. It was a very interesting tour and a very beautiful house. I really should have lived in the 1700 or 1800's. The first room we went into was the "family room". It was where the family "hung out". Before tv and radio and video games, the family sat in this room and played cards, dominoes, checkers, charades, read aloud and/or wrote letters. It was a beautiful, comfortable room and I was so drawn to it, secretly wishing that my family could "grow up" in a place like that. I guess that is up to me to create. Anyway, the rest of the house was really neat to look through. I was VERY nervous that Jadyn would knock something priceless over, as her hands like to touch everything, especially those things she should not touch. Thankfully, she did a great job of keeping to herself! YAY Jadyn! Before we went into the house, we had to sit in the barn and watch an historical video. The video talked about the Davis family and how they were friends to President Lincoln. There were also Lincoln posters hung all over that children had made. While watching the video, Jacob turned to to and asked, "Did you vote for Lincoln?" I started cracking up, but tried to maintain my composure so I would not deter him from asking me questions like that in the future. I explained to him that I was not alive when Lincoln was president. I guess I did not explain it completely enough because his next question was "Did Grandpa vote for him?" Ummmmm, still not alive then. It was so funny. I love how the mind of a child works. So simple, so pure.

So tomorrow is church and I hope we all will be mightily blessed. I am so excited about this new church. After church, Tom is making his famous chicken wings. Greg has been talking about then for days. so the boys are cooking and then I believe it will be football of some kind. Maybe I'll take a nap. I am just glad to not have to make the meal.

Jacob, Grace and Jadyn in front of the "potty house", on the back side of the David Davis Mansion

Greg and Grant in the "barn", where we watched the movie

Jacob, Grace, Jadyn and Tom watching the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment