Friday, November 6, 2009

The Babysitter

Last night was Greg and my 10th anniversary. Needless to say, we were not on the cruise that we planned to go on 10 years ago. But we did go out to dinner. We did encounter a new experience though. Last night was the first night since we have had kids that we left them with a babysitter. Samantha is a sophomore at ISU studying elementary education and I met her working in the nursery at church. She seemed nice and OK, so we ventured out. I was a nervous wreck almost the whole time. I called my mom on the way to dinner and asked her to pray for my kids. She said she would and that she would pray for me too. Samantha arrived on time, so Greg was comfortable. So we went to dinner at Biaggi's (yum) and because we had no kids to care for, we were done within an hour. I was ready to go home, but Greg said we could not just go home after an hour - he said we had to be gone at least 2, preferably 2.5 hours. So guess where we went? The library. How fitting since we met at the "library" 13 years ago. So we checked out some books and dvds, then went home. Praise the Lord - my kids were alive! Ok, I knew they would be, but I survived the night and my kids loved Samantha!!!! Good news for me. When Greg was driving home from work, he was talking to a friend who told him that he would want to go home right after dinner and when Greg asked why, his friend reminded him that he would be PAYING for the babysitter and wouldn't want to spend all that money.

As I was putting the girls to bed they were telling me about Samantha. What they did, what she talked to them about, etc. Grace was asking me about college (because Samantha is in college). I told her that when you are in college you live at the school, away from home, unless you go to community college. Terror struck her face when I said that. She immediately said that she wanted to go to the one where you stayed at home. She DID NOT want to live at school, away from home. I told her that was fine, but that the time may someday come when she will not want to be at home anymore. In fact, it will come. And I told her that this too was OK. She is certainly my little homebody. She never wants to do anything away from home. I never knew I was so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment