Friday, July 29, 2011

A Battle With Sin - Lessons from Romans

Struggling with Sin (Romans 7: 14-25)

So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power[e] within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.


So.....basically this sums me up. What I want to do, I don't; and what I don't want to do, I do. When I read the footnotes in my NIV Bible, it became more clear to me. I do these things that I do not want to do, then feel terrible about them, then try to change, but always fall back into my sin. The problem is that I am trying to stop myself from sinning. I am a sinner. We all are. And the only way to be free from the power of sin is to turn to Jesus. He is the ONLY WAY. The footnote said, "Jesus Christ, who has conquered sin once and for all, promises to fight by our side. If we look to him, we will not have to give in to sin." There it is. I cannot do it on my own. I have proven this over and over again. Everything in my life needs to be committed to Him, His Will and His plan. EVERYTHING. He Promises to fight by my side. Can you hear this, Michelle? Jesus will fight this for and with you! Turn it over to Him. Even the things that seem to simple to give to a powerful God. Lest I forget that He already has control anyway. So, these areas that I continually fall into sin in are the very areas that I need to be taking before my Lord and Savior, hourly, maybe even minutely. God is faithful - He WILL keep His promises. In that I am very sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment