Monday, March 10, 2014

Some Notes on Jacob

1. Jacob recently had a new experience. While leaving basketball practice, one of his friend's parents car had died. We asked if they needed help and they needed a jump. I thought I had jumper cables, but ended up not having them. Then the dad suggested we push start the car. So we did. Jacob, myself, and 2 of his friends pushed the car while the dad started it. Ahhhh.....brought back high school memories.

2. A few years back Jacob made me a sculpture. According to him, it was a guy sitting in a chair, playing xbox. This sculpture has been on our mantle since that day - through 2 separate moves. A few days ago, it finally dawned on Jacob exactly what the thing really looks like - an erect penis! He was so mortified and laughed hysterically at himself. It was such a sight to behold. I loved that he could laugh at himself. I don;t think it helped to have 2 of Grace's friends in the room.

3. Jacob is an amazing basketball player! Yes, I'm his mom and have to say this, but it is the truth. Granted, he can handle the ball and drive and shoot, and when given the chance can really play hard, but beyond that he is a REAL leader. I have watched him, multiple times, give up a chance to be a glory hog and take the ball to the hoop himself, and pass the ball off to a teammate that was better positioned than himself. He is smart and has his eyes open. Yes - he is sometimes wild and LOVES to swat instead of go up straight, but he is physically, mentally and emotionally a strong leader. I love that he recently stood up for what he believed in and spoke up for himself, even when it was the exact opposite of what everyone else was doing. I am very proud of the fine young man that he is and am looking forward to seeing the man he grows into.

No comments:

Post a Comment