Tuesday, October 22, 2013

An Incredible Parenting Moment

We had an INCREDIBLE moment last night!! Jacob has been playing football. And, without saying too much, he has been clearly underappreciated. His coaches have played more "dadball" than football. And while I have been bitter about this in the past, I am working on being a better person. So, last night at practice, the coaches said they were not giving out any awards for their game on Saturday because nothing good happened. What a bunch of bunk that was! Yes, they lost terribly. But, in consistent fashion, they completely skipped over Jacob's THREE (yes 3!!!) fumble recoveries for turnovers. Seriously? Who has 3 fumble recoveries? Jacob! And then to not be recognized by his coaches? I guess they were too humiliated by their sons' multiple sacks and backwards running. OK - now I sound bitter again. (I'm still working on this.....) So, let's get on to the INCREDIBLE part. Greg and I were sitting in the family room talking about this and Jacob came down and sat on the couch. We started talking about this and Jacob said, "Coach Altman told me I did awesome. Coach Mendez said I did great. And, besides, I know I did awesome and that's all that matters." Greg and I both simultaneously cheered and high-fived Jacob. We were so excited!!! He gets it! Yes, it would be great to have coaches that praised and/or encouraged him, but it was fabulous to hear that HE knows! Love this. And love this kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment