Friday, August 23, 2013

Martha, Martha, Martha, er.......Michelle, Michelle, Michelle

Wow! I am a Martha. For those of you reading this that have no idea what I am talking about - get your Bible and turn to Luke, chapter 10, verse 38-41. Here we see Martha busy with the details of life (which is important), but she is forgetting to do the very thing she needs most. Listen to Jesus. Sit at His feet. After reading this, I found a write up in my Bible on Martha. Here are some of the things I learned:
1. Controlling, charge taking older sister
2. Wished to please, to serve and to do the right thing
3. Frustrated with others "lack" of participation
4. Awareness of details sometimes kept her from seeing the whole picture
All the while she felt she was doing the "right" thing - serving, preparing, helping - but she was too busy to get what she really needed. She needed Jesus' Presence. She needed to spend time with Him.

Oh. My. Word. I AM MARTHA! I want to do the right thing. I want to serve others. I want others to be comfortable and happy. And, a lot of the time, I do this at the expense of what I really need. But I never feel like I am missing out by serving. In fact, I feel like I am getting back. That said, what I really need is Jesus. I need to sit at His feet and listen. I need to let the busy-ness of life just keep going and I need to spend time with my Savior. Obviously, this does not mean I shirk off all my duties - it means I have to pull my lazy butt out of bed early in the morning to meet with my LORD. I want this so badly. I need this.

I will not stop serving. I can't. But I will seek God's will in what I do.

1 comment: