Saturday, November 19, 2011

Soup Kitchen

This afternoon/evening, Greg and I took Jacob and Grace to a soup kitchen to volunteer our time. We did so much, and yet it felt like we hardly did anything - we had such a good time doing it! Here is a list of some of the things we did:
-Set up chairs
-Stocked cups with napkins, salt and pepper
-Made lasagna
-Bagged fresh produce
-Bagged onions
-Sorted desserts
-Served food
-Did dishes
-Chopped 100 lbs of carrots
-Swept floors

I know I have forgotten some things, but it was so awesome to see my kiddos working hard, serving others AND having fun all at the same time. They never really complained - I say "never really" because nearing the end Grace wanted to leave the kitchen, where she was serving dinner with me, and go out to the other line and help Jacob with the desserts (oh.....he was in his glory!). So the complaining was really non-existent and that made me so proud. They were the only kids there and they did an awesome job of keeping up with everyone. They never complained about being tired and, in fact, they did a fabulous job of asking what they could do next. The other thing that really impressed me was how they interacted with the other adults there. They talked with them like they knew them already - joked and everything. It was a great time and I am so glad we were able to do it. Next time, we will take a few more kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment