Saturday, November 19, 2011

Santa is Dead

I am shocked that I did not post earlier when Jacob gave up on Santa. It was only about a month or 2 back (October 19, to be exact - just checked Facebook). His discussion with me was brought on by his really extreme and unrealistic expectations for CHRISTmas presents. It was fairly simple and he said he kind of already knew. So back to the initial reason for THIS post.....Grace knows now too. She started talking to me about it because she and her new BFF were talking at school about Santa and her friend (Emma) told her she did not believe in Santa because he was magical and that was from the devil. Grace told me that she did not believe because the only person that has THAT kind of power is God. So Santa couldn't be real. Then she reasoned that if a thunderstorm could wake her up in the middle of the night, why couldn't she hear the sleigh and reindeer and Santa's footsteps on the roof? So I filled her in. Then she was horrified - we just HAD to tell the other kids. We could not let them believe this lie. (Of course, she is absolutely right) But I had to tell her that we had to keep it a secret for the little kids. She looked me in the eye, tears in hers, and said "Jacob is NOT a little kid, Mom." Then I had to tell her that he already knew the truth. She was shocked! Then as she continued to weep through this (I think she was afraid to not believe, or maybe afraid to believe, I am not sure, but I know she was afraid) she started to think about the present side.
G: "So, you buy all those things we get for CHRISTmas?"
M: "Uh-huh."
G: "So, you just go out in the middle of the night and leave us here alone while you shop?"
M: "No. I...."
G: (interrupting) "That's what you do when you shop all the time?!?"
M: (smiles)
G: "So, you already have some of MY presents bought?"
M: (winks)
G: "Mom, I don't want any presents for CHRISTmas. Besides, I already have the only present that really matters anyway."

That was one of my most proud moments as a momma. She KNOWS the truth.....she always has! Praise the LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment