Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rays Baseball Tournament (June 2011)

Jacob played baseball for the Rays this year. They ended the season in 7th place, but then really rocked out the tournament for champion. They won their first game on Saturday by a lot, then finished the day by beating the #2 team in an intense battle. The final game for the Rays was Sunday morning, which I struggled with missing church over. I thought I was not setting a good example. I wasn't, trust me. The game started with an amazing first inning by the Rays. They scored the maximum (5 runs per inning) with help from a triple from Jacob! Woo hoo! Then they held the other team at zero for a couple of innings. Then the Astros came alive. They scored 5 runs to tie the game up. 5th inning - we are batting - 2 guys out and 2 (go ahead runs) on base. Jacob gets up. Ohhhhhhh, what will happen? He is the most relaxed he has been for the entire season - it is crazy. He gets up and slams a double out to right field. 2 RBIs - way to go! Now we are up 2 runs and are in the field last. The kid who is pitching allows a few base hits and then walks a couple to load the bases. The next guy up, he walks, so that he walks in a run. He was so upset over that that he started crying. He could not finish, so the coach pulls Jacob from 3rd base and tells him to pitch. As if my ulcer was not bad enough at the moment, that was the final nail in my coffin. I sat quietly (the first time all day) under my shade umbrella and quietly talked Jacob through. Due to his skill (and not my silent coaxing) he struck the first guy out. This particular guy was the "best" hitter on the other team and had previously had 2 hits (double and triples). So Jacob struck HIM out - awesome! Then the next kid gets up and Jacob strikes him out! I threw my umbrella, jumped up, screamed and cheered - only to find out that this was only the 2nd out and not the 3rd. AUGH!!!! Jacob threw the next pitch and the kid hit it to shortstop, who bobbled it, finally grabbed it and threw it to first base. The problem was the first baseman was near shortstop, instead of where he belonged. 2 runs scored and chaos from the other side ensued. It was over for us. But let me tell you.....these Rays played their hearts out. They got so much better through the course of the season, and especially through this tournament, it was incredible!!! So proud of MY RAY of sunshine - Jacob, you ROCK!!!!
























No comments:

Post a Comment