Thursday, February 19, 2015

Michelle, the Violent

Recently, I was accused of having a "violent altercation" with a student at school. Seriously? When I was told about it, I was really confused because 1) I didn't remember having a "violent altercation" with a student (and that would probably be something I would remember) and 2) when I saw a picture of the student (because his name was one I had never heard before) I still had no idea who he was. Apparently, his mother called the school and demanded to talk to me. Of course, the office handled the parent and the student, but it really rattled me. This kid said I grabbed him and shook him because he didn't have on a coat. Now, let me give some background. I work at the front door of the school in the mornings. And when it is 0 degrees and I see students walk in with just a hoodie on, I will step in front of them and joke around, asking if they realize it is cold out. Ask where their coat is. Absolutely, I do this!! Who in the heck would go out without a coat in freezing weather, and what the heck kind of parent would allow their kid to do this? But I digress...It appears that this student was one of these. But to accuse me of being violent? Really? Mean - YES. Violent - NO WAY! I am that sometimes mean, definitely stern but lots of fun lady. That is what I pride myself on being. I can be silly like them, but I don't take crap. Simple enough. But this messed me up. Why, you ask? Because I am a "hands on" kind of person. So many of these kids need physical touch. Not rough, mean touch. But a high five, a hug, a pat on the back. And I do this. A LOT!!! It is who I am. I am physical. Plain and simple. But this situation made me think. It made me think maybe I was doing something wrong. What I figured out was that I absolutely did nothing wrong and I was NOT going to stop what I was doing. The long and short of this was that, apparently, I stepped in front of this kid in November, he got in some kind of trouble, and pulled out the accusation against me to thwart his own getting in trouble. And THIS is why kids need "hands on" love. All of them. All the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment