Thursday, February 19, 2015

Grant's "EXPERT" Writing

This week Grant's first grade class was working on their "expert" writing. They had to write about something they were an expert on. Imagine my surprise when I received the followng text from his teacher:
Just thought you'd like to know that Grant wrote about the kkk today....He said Jacob taught him all about it. He was very proud. I told him to bring it home. We changed his expert topic to building snow forts ;)
Well, isn't that just great. When did either of my sons become and expert on the kkk? After some digging, I found out that during MLK week, Jacob's class was talking about the kkk. That would also explain why he is afraid that the kkk will get him if he sleeps in the basement. Actually, is doesn't really explain it, but I see now why he thinks about the kkk. So, apparently Jacob thought it would be beneficial to share that information with his 6 year old brother. Still not making much sense. So, while the topic is not what I would prefer, I am very proud of Grant's writing. He is knowledgeable (not sure I'm entirely proud of that), and he presents his information well. And.....he also cites his research (Jacob). I am posting the paper below for you to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment