Sunday, December 14, 2014

And Again......

Exactly 2 weeks to the day, Grace and I were in the ER again. Since Thanksgiving, our entire household has been some kind of sick. It started with influenza, and ended with a serious stomach flu. Thankfully, it is over. We ended up taking Grace to ER because she threw up for the entire day and could keep nothing down and then her arms and legs started tingling. We called the pediatrician and she recommended getting her checked out. So back we went, just 5 1/2 days since my last visit with Jacob. (Let me interject here that I am EXTREMELY thankful for insurance that allows for me to take my babies to get them fixed.) But Grace was very dehydrated and would not/could not keep anything down. When we arrived, she was told she was going to have to get an IV. Then the hysterics started. I wish I could adequately explain it to you. She was writhing, squirming, shallow breathing. Which led to her hyperventilating again and led to her hands seizing up. Notice them in the pictures. In 100% honesty, I debated slapping her across the face, but thought the nurse would report me as a bad parent or something. I wasn't a bad mom. I knew Grace felt bad, but I also know that Grace is totally dramatic. She can turn a small thing into a GIANT thing in no time at all. I was working with her to deep breathe, in through her nose, out through her mouth. And she would do it a few times, then she would go into crazy, writhing hysterics. "I........can't......breathe......I.....am.....all......tingly.....Help.......me.......I......can't......breathe!!" And as she carried on her hands got worse. The doctor told us that her hyperventilating was causing a lack of calcium and that was causing what was happening to her hands. The technician had just gotten the IV in when I could not longer help myself. I grabbed Grace's barf bucket and ran to the bathroom. I started throwing up and knew I had to get on the toilet. So I just dropped my clothes right there, not caring who was there or what they saw. I was freaking sick! The technician continued working with Grace, mostly calming her down, while I continued barfing my brains out. Know what? She NEVER even asked me if I was ok. How rude. I am more than certain that she probably thought I just couldn't handle needles, but that was not the case. Maybe if her dad had been there, but not the momma that birthed her and everything. So, we waited for the results of her blood and urine work. Only to find out that she was fine. The anti-nausea medicine they gave her certainly helped. Twice, I asked for some for myself, but I think they thought I was joking. I was not. So, now.....2 days later....we are all feeling better. My prayer is that we have had all the sick we need for a good long time. Again, very thankful for our insurance, but even more thankful that everyone is finally well again!!





No comments:

Post a Comment